Sometimes a simple meal just comes together so deliciously. Nothing fancy but still flavorful. Tonight that magic happened in my kitchen. I went back to basics, with a little twist: grilled lemon pepper chicken wrapped in prosciutto, gouda mac & cheese, and marinated tomatoes. My favorite part of the meal was the fact that the basil and cherry tomatoes I used were grown in my own little patio garden! Simple instructions are below (I won’t use the word recipe because I don’t really measure when I cook but, like my grandmother did, estimate amounts by sight and taste).
- Marinate in olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic salt and lemon pepper for about 30 minutes
- At the end of grilling, place a large basil leaf on top and wrap in prosciutto, then grill for 1 minute longer (adding a piece of cheese would take this over-the-top delicious, but I restrained myself since there was plenty of cheese in the mac)
Gouda mac and cheese:
- While the pasta is boiling in salted water, make a roux with roughly equal parts butter and flour. Add milk or half-and-half (for the quantity I made, I used about 1 – 1 1/2 c skim milk). Stir in shredded cheese, both smoked gouda and cheddar, about 8-10 oz total. Season cheese sauce with ground mustard, onion powder, and salt.
- Pour sauce and cooked, drained macaroni into greased baking dish. Stir in a little extra shredded cheese and top with some more shredded cheese and cracked black pepper.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
Marinated tomato salad:
- Gently toss cherry tomatoes, basil, and thinly sliced sweet onion in olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and let sit for about an hour before serving.
That’s it. So easy, so tasty.